Sunday, March 17, 2019

Last Post

Ok, so I was supposed to figure out why Wine Sales spiked in 1996, but upon conducting some research, I couldnt find any compelling evidence. One potential theory I thought of was the economic recovery post the 1991 S&L crises, coupled with the explosion of the first tech boom, may have led to a huge upswing in wine sales and prices in 1996 that reflected a release of previously pent up "animal spirits". Not quite satisfactory, but a potential explanation.

So, without a good explanation, I will post quickly on two topics:

First, wine bars are a thing - I used to live by Union Larder on Union and Hyde street in San Francisco - which is a fantastic spot that serves wine by the tap. The wine was quite good and was paired with cheese plates, etc. With a broad selection available, these places may become the new yuppie bars, although unlikely to replace the dive bars and the beer. Which is why I really liked the champagne and wine on tap idea at bars, or for that matter wine in a can, as I think it is a great idea and for the younger drinkers will have mass appeal. Many of my contemporaries learned to drink liquor, like whiskey, scotch, etc., only because we werent as fond of beer (or didnt want to be associated with the brand implications) and there werent other compelling options.

Second, I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed this class, and wanted to take the time to thank all of you for making this such a fantastic experience. Learning and drinking wine with everyone in class was an unique experience. I had the pleasure of hearing from you about your love for wine and your individual motivations for taking the class. I enjoyed the probing questions for our speakers, and thought that the wide ranging discussions that incorporated not only wine, but also sales, marketing, strategy, economics, and sometimes even family politics, reflect the culture and atmosphere that comes with drinking wine. Maybe why even after thousands of years, humanity still clings to wine as its libation and social lubricant of choice. With that - I hope to see all of you around the table with a good glass of wine, and more importantly some new stories and experiences to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment